Wednesday, April 28, 2010

And You Thought You Knew How to Shop...

Image via Green

So, thanks to Liz, you now know where to look for eco-friendly products online, but what about your everyday shopping at the mall or at a shop downtown. I want to give you some tips so even at your average boutique you can choose the right clothing to be eco-friendly and sustainable.

-One of the most important things when shopping is to look at the fabrics used and the quality and durability of the clothing itself. Cotton is one of the most environmentally harming resource when pesticides and fertilizers are used in its production. On tags look for "Organic Cotton" labels. Also look for fabrics like bamboo that are naturally sustainable materials. Many companies have started using recycled plastic bottles to produce shirts and jackets and that is clearly marked on the tags. One thing to avoid in the making of products is textile finishing. Finishes on garments like stain-resistance, moth-proofing, and anti-mildewing almost always use harmful chemicals.

-Shop for labels saying "Made in the USA." Buying local reduces shipping costs and your carbon footprint. Less shipping means fewer travel emissions and supports the local economy.

-Look for clothing that does not need dry-cleaning. The majority of dry-cleaning agents are carcinogenic, or can cause cancer. Need I say more?

While the first thing I look at when shopping is the clothing item itself...the tag should follow shortly after that. Check out this website for helpful hints: Care2

1 comment:

  1. The link is very clear--what a nice, concise list. The problem is that, for me, by the time I find something I like for the price I want, US made and organic comes in a distant third place.

    Those questions have to be solved by the question: Which stores do I shop at? If I know an entire brand is high quality and sustainable, then I'll be encouraged to look further. But it would be maddening to remember each of those questions with each buying decision.

    Most surprising to me is the carcinogen in dry-cleaning! I rarely get dry cleaning, but now I'll do it even less often!

    ReplyDelete